February 24, 2014 | by  | in News |

The Last Walsh

It is the end of an era as Victoria University’s Vice-Chancellor of nearly a decade departs for pastures new.

Pat Walsh, who has served as Vice-Chancellor since 2005, did not seek a third term in the role, bringing his time at the University to a close.

Throughout Vice-Chancellor Walsh’s tenure, Victoria has undergone significant development, including the building of the Hub and improving Victoria’s research culture. Victoria was ranked first in the country for research in 2013.

Walsh said it had been “an honour and a privilege” to be Victoria’s Vice-Chancellor.

“I have been inspired on a daily basis by my first-hand knowledge of the many extraordinary achievements of our staff and students.”

“What I have tried to encourage here is a culture of excellence. Victoria has amazing people, both staff and students, who do amazing things. But it’s almost like we… don’t really celebrate the excellent things that people have done. So I have tried to build up that recognition of excellence,” said Walsh.

Chancellor Ian McKinnon told Salient that Walsh has laid “superb foundations” to meet the challenges that Vic will face.

“He has led and managed Victoria at a time of increasing fiscal challenges and constraints while maintaining the quality of a Victoria institution, well supported by the development of new and refurbished facilities,” McKinnon said.

Walsh expressed his support for the appointment of the new Vice-Chancellor, Grant Guilford, saying it was “a very good appointment”.

“I think he will be a very good Vice-Chancellor. He is very experienced [and] well regarded.”

In speaking of his future plans, Walsh told Salient that he believed one should be “open to new experiences”.

“…I don’t want to be a Vice-Chancellor anywhere else. I don’t want another full-time job as a chief executive of any organisation. I want to do a variety of different things, whether it be on boards, whether it be doing some consulting, doing some mentoring, working for voluntary organisations.”

The full interview with Pat Walsh can be found on the homepage of this week’s Salient.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan