February 24, 2014 | by  | in Opinion |

VUWSA President’s Column

Hello! Whether you’ve just arrived at your Hall with a car full of stuff, or you’re returning to Vic from a summer in Wellington, welcome to Victoria University for 2014. My name is Sonya Clark and I am the President of VUWSA – Your Students’ Association.

It’s the start of Orientation, and for the first time ever, we’ve combined forces with our friends down the road at Massey Wellington Students’ Association to bring you One Orientation Wellington. We’ve been able to use not just The Hunter Lounge but the entire city of Wellington, getting you student discounts at a whole range of gigs. Neon Toga Party tickets are completely sold out, but at the time of writing there were tickets left to most events. Check out www.facebook.com/vuwsa to keep in the loop.

It’s optional to join VUWSA, and membership is FREE. In the next few weeks, you’ll see a whole lot of people in bright green T-shirts around campus. Ask them how to join VUWSA. When you join, you’ll get a free Wall Planner, O-Week Bag full of freebies, and a membership card loaded with deals and discounts to use around town and on campus.

More importantly, you’ll become a part of making sure that the collective student voice makes a difference at Vic this year. VUWSA has been here since the beginning of Vic itself. Students way back in 1899 formed the Victoria College Students’ Society, quickly organising a petition on the need for a student library.

115 years later, VUWSA still exists to make sure Victoria students have an incredible time at Vic, are supported through their study, and, most of all, have their voices listened to in the ivory towers of decision-making. We think students deserve a say in their class, their university and in their lives as students in Wellington.

This means we care about the small things, like when the lights go out on the Dixon St steps or you get a grade that you don’t think is quite right. We can find the right person to fix the lights, and help you approach a lecturer to question your grade. We have a Food Bank and Free Bread service to make things a bit easier. While we are completely independent, we work closely with the University to make things better for students.

We care about the big issues, like pushing for Wellington to introduce tertiary fares on public transport and making sure we get a quality education while not drowning in debt.

We’ll keep in touch as the year goes on. But for now, its all about free stuff, sausage sizzles and dressing up in a sheet to commemorate the start of the university year. Come say hi at the VUWSA stall outside the Hub – there’s no missing the green smiley-face T-shirts.

1. Robert Hagen says:

Der Sonya,
    I am a TV producer and would like to discuss with you a series I am resubmitting to Maori Television would you be kind enough to send me your contact detail please. I have attached my website so you can see who I am.

with kind regards

Robert Hagen
    Producer