11 O’Clock Swill

The curfew placed on The Hunter Lounge by the University has angered students, with O-Week gigs ending early.

The 11 pm curfew that was in place for the recent O-Week Baauer gig is the main cause for student concern, with some disappointed students demanding their money back.

Less than 24 hours before the doors opened, a post on Facebook was the only indication for ticketholders that the show would start early and close at 11 pm.

One ticketholder spoken to by Salient even flew from Christchurch for the show, but missed it completely because they were not informed of the scheduling change.

Adding to the frustration was Ryan Hemsworth’s laptop plug not functioning during his set, which meant he had to leave the stage for a short time. However, he performed for an extended 15 minutes after his allocated time had run out.

Associate Professor of Campus Operations Rainsforth Dix said about the curfew that “events held in the Student Union Building are operated under a resource consent from the Wellington City Council. This includes some provisions that we are required to comply with, including restrictions on the amount of noise that can be made after 12 am.”

When asked if the University would be placing further curfews on events at The Hunter Lounge, Dix said that it was their duty.

“It is the responsibility of the operator of each event to manage compliance with these requirements. Part of this is setting a finishing time for their event.”

VUWSA President Sonya Clark said of the curfew: “the midnight noise curfew is definitely earlier than most students’ definitions of a night out… but Kelburn is a residential area, and it is crucial we respect the neighbours as much as possible. We do that by sending out a letter to the neighbours before Orientation and by following the noise curfew.”

When asked about the ability of VUWSA to run a good O-Week for the students, Ms Clark said that in the past, the University has been restrictive of off-campus events.

“We pushed back, and we now have been able to move the majority of Orientation gigs into town, which means the party can continue to go well into the night.”

1