A Future Literally in the Palm of Your Hand

Students looking for information about their career prospects will be able to do so from their phones, with a new government app now available.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has released the Occupation Outlook 2014 mobile app. The app gathers information from businesses, employers, the education sector and labour-market analysts, with the intention to be a prime location for students to look when making decisions about the future.

Minister for Tertiary Education Steven Joyce said that the free app is designed to provide instant information on the qualification requirements, job prospects and possible incomes for 50 occupations.

“The Occupation Outlook App is remarkably easy to use on smartphones and tablets, and is in line with the Government’s focus on delivering more innovative, user-friendly public services,” Joyce said.

Occupations are grouped under the industry pathway in the Government’s Vocational Pathways Programme, and include: Construction and Infrastructure, Manufacturing and Technology, Primary Industries, Service Industries, Creative Industries, and Social and Community Services.

Mr Joyce believes the easily accessible app will affect New Zealand families and students in a positive way by helping them to make “better informed” subject and future career choices.

The app is available to use on smartphones, tablets, iPhones, Android devices and iPod Touches, and can be downloaded from the App Store and the Google Play Store.