March 17, 2014 | by  | in Arts Fashion |

A Trendy Traveller

This summer, I was fortunate enough to spend an inspiring and spiritual five weeks travelling around Southeast Asia. Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Singapore, Indonesia: beautiful.

Myself and my 24 travel buddies were told to “pack light”. I did not. Here are the fashion-related lessons I learnt while abroad.

New Balances

I hated the sports-shoes-as-a-style trend when it first became a thing in early 2013. And I swear, the only reason I purchased a pair of extortionately priced patent-leather New Balance 574s was to accommodate my aching feet as they trekked through the Southeast Asian terrain.

But even I, an until-now successful avoider of Good as Gold, found these shoes to be an amazing investment. They look good with anything – even Cambodian elephant pants – and were comfortable on those long intercontinental plane rides. AND you can take out the insoles should you need to wash them!

LBD

My half-price plain little black dress from Glassons bought a week before departing New Zealand was another brilliant decision. I wore it probably 20 times on the trip, every time styling it differently. If you are planning on embracing the local culture in this part of the world (which you really, really should), you will undoubtedly end up purchasing multi-coloured multi-patterned clothes during your travels. These new acquisitions – including touristy T-shirts – can easily be layered over the top of your LBD, mixing your old and new fashion identity perfectly.

Bras

One lace, one sports, one soccer-mom-who-prefers-comfort-over-fashion. Sorted.

But while you’re away…

Embrace the local culture!!! I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to get amongst the sometimes-insane clothing trends that you will encounter overseas. Trust me, no one will understand how cool your two-piece three-eyed-pineapple-print suit is when you return to Aotearoa.

1. Blog says:

Excellent way of telling, and fastidious paragraph to get information on the topic of
    my presentation subject, which i am going to convey in school.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June