Academic Vice-President

Kia ora whanau! Ko Rāwinia toku ingoa, ko te Academic Vice-President o VUWSA ahau.

As Academic VP, it’s my job to make sure you get a quality education here at Vic. Whether it’s making sure your lecturer’s PowerPoint slides are available to you, representing you as a student rep on University boards and committees, or lobbying central government on tertiary-education issues, I’m here to address academic issues big and small.

I’m keen to advocate for tertiary-education issues in the General Election and get students out to vote. I’ll be questioning why studying is only getting more expensive, and whether the quality of our education is getting any better as a result. Year after year, Vic raises our tuition fees to the max. It isn’t allowed to raise fees by any more than it does. We can’t afford to keep paying more and more when there are fewer tutorials, larger class sizes, entire courses have been cut, and others are often unavailable. Is a rolling four per cent fee increase an investment into improving our education? Or is it simply a four per cent annual salary increase for senior management?

As students, our voice at Uni is incredibly important, and it needs to be heard! I lead the Education Team at VUWSA, and together we train and support student representatives like Class Reps and Faculty Delegates who speak up for students in classes and faculties. By now, you should have elected Class Reps in your classes. My first experience of a Class Rep election set the bar really high. It was a hotly-contested election, with ten candidates giving minute-long speeches, one person even channelling Martin Luther King in re-enacting the “I Have A Dream” speech. I can’t wait to catch up with all our new and returning Class Reps at training over the next couple of weeks!

Feel free to call me, flick me an email, pop in to our office, tweet at me or ask me for coffee!