March 3, 2014 | by  | in Arts Books |

Books Coming Out in 2014 to Get Excited About

Bark by Lorrie Moore

Prolific American short-story writer Lorrie Moore is back in March with her first collection of stories since 1998. Moore’s early stories are well known and loved for being darkly witty and beautiful in unexpected moments. Her last novel, A Gate at the Stairs, was received in 2009 with slightly passionless reviews, but the buzz about this one is tangible.

The Wandering Mind by Michael Corballis

In his last popular non-fiction workPieces of Mind: 21 Short Walks Around the Human Brain, Auckland Uni emeritus professor Michael Corballis made psychology a really fun and fascinating subject to read about. This time, he takes a closer look at our subconscious: what are our brains doing when we’re not doing anything at all? Look out for it in May this year.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

In what is known to Japanese newspapers as “the Haruki effect”, thousands of people queued for days outside bookstores when Murakami’s latest novel was released in Japan last year. The English translation will be published by Random House in August. According to the book’s Wikipedia page, one million copies sold in one week. So it’s bound to be good.

Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham

Loved and hated by many, the writer and creator of HBO series Girls is publishing a collection of essays in October. Meanwhile, her television persona Hannah Horvath is on the road to getting her own book of essays published in New York. We aren’t sure if we’re meant to ignore the synchronicity here, but regardless, Dunham’s essays should be interesting if her screenwriting choices are anything to go by.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos