C B T

This instalment of CBT was brought to you by catastrophic thinking and assumptions that have not been challenged since the individual was a shitty little eight-year-old.

CBT tells us that changing our thoughts can change our feels.

CBT tells us that changing our assumptions about ourselves and the world can change our thoughts.

CBT tells us that that the shitty individual in question magnifies the impact of negative experiences to extreme proportions and—

I’m trying to get up, I can’t. It’s safe. My friends say that maybe I ‘just need to get up’, and I say, “Oh wow yes I’ll definitely try that!” I get up and I’m stomach-sick and some of my thoughts are um so wow, embarrassing, and why have you not yet learnt how to close your laptop lid before 3 am and just do some washing more often so you don’t have to wear underwear which itches and also, you’re boring. And I’m showering and if you are late to this lecture everyone else in the room will think that you are really slack and always late and thus are not worth much to them because you are nothing if you do not make the teacher love you lmao. They are always thinking about you, little obvious you. I’m dressing in a confused wool ensemble and rushing for the bus and I’m one minute late and the lecture theatre is closed already and I’m all you are really slack and you are not worth much to them. And so I’m nervous about entering and just avoid this terrible situation right now (trust me), leave now and you’ll feel better you’ll protect yourself (I promise). And so I’m walking to get a muffin, but you’re still boring. And I’m eating and wondering about my reaction to being late and where that came from. I’m thinking about my self-worth and if it is based on my teacher’s love for me and where that came from. I’m wanting to know what would happen if I figured this out. I’m wondering if I could be a bit more like Rihanna, not exactly Rihanna, but like Rihanna singing in ‘You Da One’, like singing her in my head, singing that, to myself. I’m wondering if I can say you the one that I think about always and you’re alright regardless of your lateness to myself, in my head, all the time, and—

Cognitive behavioural therapy is a talk therapy used to treat disruptive thinking, as well as diagnosed mental illnesses. Each CBT client will use it in their own way, and students who think it could help them can visit Student Health.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.