Editorial – How to

“To give advice to a man who asks what to do with his life implies something very close to egomania. To presume to point a man to the right and ultimate goal – to point with a trembling finger in the RIGHT direction is something only a fool would take upon himself.”
– Hunter S. Thompson

This is our first week at or back at university. This is a time of flux: where we are uncertain about so much: what to do and how to get there. University is a period in our lives when we learn how to do things at an impressive rate. How to live independently, how to think critically, how to design and build things using just your head. How to perfect the art of student cuisine (mi goreng noodles), how to succeed at uni (go to class). This is an important time in our lives to decide who we want to be, and then work out how to be that way. Hence this issue.

Hunter S. Thompson is wrong to advise that it is foolish to give advice. Obviously, you shouldn’t blindly follow all of the how to’s in this issue. No one knows how to be the perfect human: least of all us. This is not a preachy guide on how to live: this is the kind of advice that you can take or leave. Do something with it if you want.

Feature writer Penny Gault has a fantastic feature this week on how to find out how to do things in the age of Google. She argues that this issue of Salient is redundant – if you want to know how to do anything these days, you don’t need a magazine. You can simply google it. Jeeves knows all the answers.

There is not one way of doing things. However, seeking out no advice, or just one person’s advice, is also futile. To that end, we have filled this issue with a variety of student’s views on how to do things. Some are practical, some are whimsical, some contain very bad advice. One writer goes for all three and tells us how to roll a ciggy and how to roll a joint.

This week’s issue also signals the beginning of our regular columns. They all have beautiful illustrations, thanks to the amazing Phoebe Morris. The writing’s pretty good too.

We spend our lives consumed by the question of just how we want to live. We hope this issue helps you to be the pot-smoking, internet-savvy, popular, semi-alcoholic student you always wanted to be. Or not.

Love,

Duncan & Cam

1