Editorial – The Future

The future is the most important time. The past has happened. The present might be shit. But the future always has the potential to be amazing.

At university, our focus shifts from short to long term. Mundane questions like what’s for lunch give way to long-term thinking. What am I doing with my life? Will this get me a job? Should I care whether it gets me a job? Am I someone who wants to marry people? Will anyone want to marry me? We obsess over these questions, hence this issue.

There is something about being a student that forces us to be preoccupied with the future. Fundamentally, we are here for our later selves. We have hope for the future: that our lives and our world will be better than they are and have been. We have anxiety about the future: whether we will get a job, whether World War III will break out, whether our five-year plan will work out.  Our future is an escape. We dwell on it in class, in our new hostel, amid dense course texts.

Maybe it’s because we’re getting old. Do you remember where you were at the dawn of the millennium? That was 14 years ago. Kids who were born then go to high school now.

Got a smartphone? Seven years ago, the iPhone did not exist. Now you can’t live without it.

Plan to have kids? If so, you will be able to tell them that you are older than the internet.

Were you a ‘90s child? The year 1990 is closer in time to the Moon landing than it is to the present day. Cam gets off over these facts.

We spend so much time thinking about the future that we often forget that we are living yesterday’s tomorrow today.

But we should get excited about the future and its malleability. For that reason, this week, our features are aspirational. Steph Trengrove examines the future of education and finds that it is likely to be more accessible, much cheaper and more diverse. Alexandra Hollis thinks big about transport and finds that getting from A to B will get easier, and that soon B will come to us. Philip McSweeney digs a bit deeper and ponders what risks or effects advancements in technology may have on the way we experience life. Deep.

So do read them and get excited about the life of tomorrow. But we must remember to be cautious in our optimism. The job market will pick up, but we might not get our dream one. We might find the love of our lives, but they might leave us. We might be able to fly to Mars for a vacation, but they’ll still manage to lose your bags at the spaceport.

The future isn’t utopia. It’s just better than today.

Love,

Duncan and Cam

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this