Eggplant & Ricotta Ravioli

Eating seasonally is smart wherever possible when trying to survive on a student budget. You can pick eggplants up for $1 each at the moment. I’m prepared to admit it: not everyone likes this slimy greyish vegetable, but roasting or grilling an eggplant brings out a depth of flavour that any other cooking method lacks. I’ve been whiling away the last of my days before Uni gets hectic making this: it’s a perfect date-night dish to impress that summer fling you’re trying to keep hold of.

I won’t give you a fresh-pasta recipe here, as any Google search will give you one. I recommend Jamie Oliver’s.

Fresh pasta sheets (use a recipe that makes enough for four people)

Filling:

• 2 eggplants
  • 200 g ricotta (substitute with feta or another cheese if you wish)
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • Salt & pepper

Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise, and rub them with extra-virgin olive oil. Season well and place on a tray in the oven for 20–25 minutes at 190°C, or until the flesh is tender. While the eggplants cook, fry the onion in a small amount of oil with the garlic until soft. Put into a bowl with the lemon juice. Scrape the flesh off the skins of the eggplants once cooked, and add to the bowl. Give the mixture a light mash so it’s not too chunky, and mix in the ricotta.

Roll the pasta into sheets. Cut the sheets into evenly sized shapes, although ravioli is traditionally square; put dollops of mixture in the middle of the shapes, then press another on top. Cook in batches.

Sauce:

• 100 g butter
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 4 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
  • Juice of two lemons
  • 1 Tbsp lemon zest
  • Salt and pepper

Add all ingredients except the butter to a saucepan and cook on a low heat for 3–4 minutes. Add the butter and leave on the heat until melted.

Pour the butter over the pasta and serve warm!