Eggplant & Ricotta Ravioli

Eating seasonally is smart wherever possible when trying to survive on a student budget. You can pick eggplants up for $1 each at the moment. I’m prepared to admit it: not everyone likes this slimy greyish vegetable, but roasting or grilling an eggplant brings out a depth of flavour that any other cooking method lacks. I’ve been whiling away the last of my days before Uni gets hectic making this: it’s a perfect date-night dish to impress that summer fling you’re trying to keep hold of.

I won’t give you a fresh-pasta recipe here, as any Google search will give you one. I recommend Jamie Oliver’s.

Fresh pasta sheets (use a recipe that makes enough for four people)

• 2 eggplants
  • 200 g ricotta (substitute with feta or another cheese if you wish)
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • Salt & pepper

Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise, and rub them with extra-virgin olive oil. Season well and place on a tray in the oven for 20–25 minutes at 190°C, or until the flesh is tender. While the eggplants cook, fry the onion in a small amount of oil with the garlic until soft. Put into a bowl with the lemon juice. Scrape the flesh off the skins of the eggplants once cooked, and add to the bowl. Give the mixture a light mash so it’s not too chunky, and mix in the ricotta.

Roll the pasta into sheets. Cut the sheets into evenly sized shapes, although ravioli is traditionally square; put dollops of mixture in the middle of the shapes, then press another on top. Cook in batches.

• 100 g butter
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 4 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
  • Juice of two lemons
  • 1 Tbsp lemon zest
  • Salt and pepper

Add all ingredients except the butter to a saucepan and cook on a low heat for 3–4 minutes. Add the butter and leave on the heat until melted.

Pour the butter over the pasta and serve warm!

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America