Eye on Exec

Welcome to Eye on Exec!

This fortnightly column will cover everything the VUWSA executive gets up to in its meetings – apart from the interesting bits, which they put in committee. Part of Salient’s mandate is to cover the actions VUWSA takes on behalf of the student body, in the interests of accountability. Nobody wants a repeat of the VUWSA where an officer was able to spend $4000 on calling psychic hotlines.

Realistically, most of the people who read this column are the ones who already know everything that VUWSA is doing. To the first-years opening this magazine for the first time today: VUWSA fucks up sometimes, and we’ll tell you when they do. VUWSA does good shit sometimes, and we’ll tell you when they do. This column covers what comes in between.

Salient attended VUWSA’s first executive meeting on 18 February. Much of the interesting stuff was put in committee (which means we can’t report on it). We learnt that VUWSA has so far successfully kept 16 carparks on Salamanca Rd which it leases to students, despite being challenged by people who felt it did not keep within the Town Belt plan. Changes to university councils, as reported in last week’s Salient, were discussed, and VUWSA concluded that a comprehensive response was necessary. VUWSA also discussed how best to continue funding representative groups which the University does not fund. They decided to largely continue with the funding model they had used last year.

This went for around two and a half hours; then VUWSA broke for dinner.

Salient will return in two weeks with more thrilling coverage of VUWSA executive meetings. Don’t go anywhere!