Eye on Exec

VUWSA’s third Executive meeting was significantly more interesting than the last, with the resignation of an Exec member, the date-setting of VUWSA’s Initial General Meeting, and an O-Week Debrief.

There was preliminary discussion of general business, including the revelation that Victoria’s new Vice-Chancellor Grant Guilford is ‘down with the kids’ and wants to hang out with the VUWSA Exec. Sonya’s President Report lead to chat about the upcoming University Challenge, and the recent devastating Wi-Fi outage across University campuses.

The draft minutes of the Publications Committee, which runs student media such as Salient and the VBC, were received. This lead to discussion around the gradual decline of the VBC, and how VUWSA is handling the legal issues around assuming control of the VBC Trust.

The meeting moved on to setting the date for the Initial General Meeting. This is especially important as this will be held in conjunction with the election of a new Clubs Officer, the previous Officer having quit earlier that day. Sonya assured Salient that there would be free pizza, and the date was set for 26 March at 1 pm. Sonya also assured Salient that her “dazzling audited accounts will bring all the boys to the yard.” Salient will monitor this closely.

VUWSA then discussed flu shots (free! in April!) and O-Week. Overall, the Exec felt that O-Week had gone well, with hash browns having been a particularly wise investment.

The meeting came to an end with the resignation of Elizabeth Bing, and the Executive’s scramble to respond in what Sonya termed “the most legit way possible.” What this entails is Sonya taking over the responsibilities for the next two weeks, as by-elections are expensive and generally have poor turnout.

Read more about Elizabeth Bing’s potentially scandalous resignation in Salient’s news section.

1