Eye on Exec

This week, there was no VUWSA Exec meeting due to the Initial General Meeting, held in the Hub. Students had to sign in to gain access to the meeting, and quorum was easily reached. Salient suspects this was in no small part due to the lure of free pizza, heavily advertised by VUWSA prior to the event. However, Salient witnessed several students leaving in the course of the meeting once they realised that pizza was not immediately forthcoming.

President Clark opened the meeting with a discussion of VUWSA’s achievements in 2013. This included discussion of Fairer Fares, which Clark said was “a success, and also not a success.” Clark said she was pleased with the work done by VUWSA to engage students with the process despite the eventual lack of success of the campaign.

Discussion then moved on to the consolidation of the VUWSA Trust and the audited VUWSA accounts for 2013. Clark was quick to point out that VUWSA is not quite as in debt as it looks. The forecasted deficit for 2013 had been $78,000, but the actual deficit is $136,000. This is due to an accounting quirk, because the 2013 accounts were closed before the VUWSA Trust grant of $107,000 had been received. This means that overall, the VUWSA deficit for 2013 is around $29,000. Clark said this was largely due to cost-cutting in the second half of the year.

Looking ahead, Clark said her priorities for 2014 included increasing revenue and getting students engaged with the national election. She also discussed how pleased she had been with the joint O-Week.

An additional attraction after the IGM was the Special General Meeting and election of the new Clubs and Activities Officer. Salient reported two weeks ago on the resignation of Elizabeth Bing. You can read all about the new Clubs Officer, as well as the shameful silencing of the media by President Sonya Clark, on page 11.

1