Good Guy Grant Guilford

Academic and educational leaders gathered last Monday to welcome the University’s new Vice-Chancellor, Professor Grant Guilford.

The powhiri to welcome Professor Guilford took place at Te Herenga Waka Marae, located at the Kelburn campus, and was attended by over 100 dignitaries.

Professor Guilford assumed his new role on 3 March, succeeding Professor Pat Walsh, who served as Victoria’s Vice-Chancellor for nine years.

Professor Guilford has expressed his goals to build on the accomplishments of his predecessor and lead Victoria into the top 50 capital-city universities in the world.

Speaking in broad strokes, Professor Guilford said that he hopes to frame Victoria’s national identity as one of business ingenuity and artistic creativity, sources of inspiration that would help Victoria achieve a place among elite capital-city universities.

“I mean expressing new possibilities through creative activity, incorporating the genius behind art, music and writing, the curiosity and insight that finds new solutions to complex issues, and the entrepreneurship that establishes new businesses,” Professor Guilford emphasised. “It is inspiration, innovation and leadership.”

Chancellor Ian McKinnon said Professor Guilford would bring “a wealth of leadership experience” to Victoria, and was an outstanding academic who has had a “highly successful career in research and teaching.”

“We are delighted to be welcoming Professor Guilford to the role of Vice-Chancellor. His commitment and drive for excellence make him a most appropriate choice to lead Victoria in the coming years,” McKinnon said.

Professor Guilford previously held the role of Dean of the Faculty of Sciences at the University of Auckland, and was a member of the Senior Management Team. He has worked with the Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences at Massey University in addition to his role at the University of Auckland.