March 31, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Interview with The Eversons

1) What can we look forward to hearing on the new album?
Synthesiser, saxophone, sampler, all sorts. Our first album was recorded live and was pretty stripped down. On this new album we’re using lots of different instruments and going much more intense on the production. We’re lucky because we record and produce ourselves at home, so we can do whatever we want. The new album is a big step up from the first; I’m really excited to get it all released.

2) It’s been a long time since you released Summer Feeling. What’s the hold-up been?
It’s only been two years! Is that a long time between albums? We’ve been releasing all kinds of non-album songs as B-sides or on EPs. Trying to develop our sound by trying different things. I really love it when bands or artists change throughout their career and have eras and phases. We wanted to make sure we clearly have that kind of strong development going on. We’re all just total music nerds so we’re getting together most days and working on recordings, have been for the last two years leading up to finishing this album. We’ve also all moved up to Auckland together so we can hang with our Lil’ Chief Records friends more often.

3) Has your experience around ‘Harlot’ affected your songwriting in any major way?
That was the first non-album track where we started experimenting with more interesting instruments and production. It kinda started us off in the direction we’ve taken the album, having brass and cool sound effects and stuff. It also helped us to get it nice and clear that you have to write about whatever you want, without worrying too much about what other people will think.

4) You’ve played a lot of shows over the last two years; have there been any particularly memorable ones?
So many great shows! Some of my favourite shows have been playing at the Lil’ Chief Records Christmas party. A bunch of bands set up in the garage of the Lil’ Chief HQ up in Auckland and it’s always so much fun. A Paul McCartney tribute band might play, featuring members of Lawrence Arabia, The Brunettes, Ruby Suns, Princess Chelsea etc. etc., or maybe The Whipping Cats get back together for a one-off performance, or maybe a band like The Boa Constrictors from LA play a set. Lil’ Chief Records are the best label in NZ and they sure know how to party.

1