March 24, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

It Hurts – 33 Tears Review

It Hurts – 33 Tears

It Hurts remind me of the mythical Squonk, a grotesque animal said to live in the Hemlock forests of Pennsylvania. The Squonk’s skin is so ill-fitting, and its hide so overwhelmed by warts and unsightly growths, that it spends much of its life weeping out of sight. When cornered by hunters, the Squonk dissolves into a pool of bubbles and tears. Do you see where I’m going with this?

Where their last release, The Thing That Stings (released on cassette through Australian label Albert’s Basement), dug its nails deep into your flesh in a cyclic whorl of relentless playground taunting (“I hurt, you hurt, we hurt, they hurt”) 33 Tears really tries to make amends, but in doing so sucks you further inside its queasy, dead-end void.

This is, of course, a good review. It Hurts are a great band. It Hurts might be my favourite band in New Zealand. Angeline (Jane Austen, Currer Bells), Claire (Stefan Neville’s Pumice) and Beth (Futurians) deliver a perfect mess of minimal stop/start bass and drums, errant blooping and emphatic yelps. The songs here try to wrench themselves out of the drop-dead desolation of the noisy New Zealand underground, and are constantly pulled back in. Part punk-rock buzz, part signal failure – there’s something horrid about It Hurts they can’t quite shake, and I hope they never will.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough