News of the World

On 17 February, an Ethiopian Airlines aircraft en route to Rome with 202 passengers aboard was hijacked by the co-pilot and entered Swiss airspace. However, the Swiss Air Force stayed on the ground, because the budget only allows it to intervene in potential threats which take place during business hours, beginning at 8 am. “You have a budget and you have to prioritise,” said Swiss Air Force spokesman Juerg Nussbaum. The plane was escorted to Geneva by French and Italian fighter jets, and the hijacker faces up to 20 years in Swiss prison.

——

The crisis in Ukraine continued apace, as 16,000 Russian troops took over the region of Crimea without firing a single shot. Russian President Vladimir Putin contends that the troops are simply protecting Russian military assets in the region, a statement most observers dispute. At press time, high-level talks between US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov have failed to reach any kind of accord. Pro-Russian protests have spread across the eastern half of Ukraine – a 24-year-old nation-state of 44.5 million with strong cultural ties to Russia – in response to the recent takeover by anti-government, pro-EU protesters in Kiev. Ukraine’s interim government is coming to terms with how dire the country’s economic situation is, fielding conditional loan offers from the EU and the United States. Despite the strong wishes of journalists and Congressional Republicans everywhere, the conflict doesn’t quite resemble the Cold War yet, but we’re getting closer.

——

A study has found that being drunk doesn’t make men sexually predatory, and that men are more likely to target drunk women to harass and assault in bars. The study, by researchers at the University of Toronto and the University of Washington, analysed 1057 aggressive incidents as part of a wider study of aggression in bars in Toronto over a two-year period. 25 per cent of the incidents involved sexual aggression, and 90 per cent of those incidents involved men harassing women. The intoxication levels of aggressors was not significantly related to their levels of invasiveness or persistence; however, the intoxication levels of victims was significantly related to the level of invasiveness displayed by aggressors. Robin Thicke was not available for comment.