News of the World

Saudi Arabia now has its first female newspaper editor, with Somayya Jabarti becoming the boss at the Saudi Gazette, a daily newspaper in English. Jabarti is a former deputy editor at the paper, which has a circulation of 50,000. She will head up a staff where 17 of the 20 reporters are female, though the paper’s senior editorial roles are mainly held by men. Women are still banned from driving in the kingdom, but were permitted in April 2013 to ride bicycles or motorbikes as long as it is for recreation rather than as a mode of transport.

——

Boldly going where Sleep Cycle fears to tread, founders of mobile app Spreadsheet have released the sexual statistics of 10,000 users across the USA. Spreadsheet uses a phone’s accelerometer to measure duration, thrusts and decibel peak, which the creators say “entices users to have some fun with their partner and share in that afterglow experience, while encouraging open dialog and feedback.” The data of 10,000 early adopters reveals average duration of intercourse to range from 1 minute 21 seconds in Alaska, to, for minimally disappointing sex, New Mexico coming in tops with an average of 7 minutes 1 second.

——

Visitors to Antwerp, Belgium, have the option to stay in Hotel CasAnus, designed to look like a human colon. The one-room hotel, which costs 120 euros per night to stay in, was originally a sculpture, but has been renovated and now sits in the Verbeke Foundation Art Park. The hotel’s owners, Geert and Carla Verbeke-Lens, say it is extremely popular with couples. “You will find no flamboyant sensational buildings here, but rather a refreshing, unpretentious place to look at art and a subtle criticism of the art world,” Geert said. Subtle would not be the word I would use, butt perhaps I just don’t understand modern art.