Not So Wise Council

VUWSA has called on the University to reject outright a bill proposing radical changes to university governance.

Steven Joyce’s Education Amendment Bill would cut down university councils to no more than 12 members, and remove current requirements for student and staff representation.

However, the Bill would maintain the same number of government-appointed members on councils.

VUWSA Academic Vice-President Rāwinia Thompson said the changes would make maintaining student representation “incredibly difficult”, and said it was “highly likely students would lose our second seat on the Council.”

“No university supports the proposed changes; Auckland and Otago Universities have outright rejected the proposed changes. VUWSA hopes that, in coming months, Victoria University will follow the lead of Auckland and Otago and reject the changes outright,” Thompson said.

Music student and political aficionado Benjamin Beckers slammed the proposed changes.

“It’s not students who get to choose whether or not they’re represented on councils; it’s the prerogative of the councils themselves – councils who are now stuffed full of ministry lackeys serving a government who time and time again has proven its commitment to steamrolling our education system.”

The Bill will be open for public submissions until 30 April. VUWSA will be making a written submission, and hopes to make an oral submission also.

Victoria’s Chancellor Ian McKinnon is yet to make formal comment on the issue, but is set to comment in next week’s issue of Salient.