Parks and Reclamation

Victoria University students will lose access to 16 car parks at the Kelburn Tennis Club on Salamanca Rd by next year.

Wellington City Council owns the club, and helped VUWSA to broker the arrangement to use the car parks available. The arrangement was removed by the Council’s Community, Sport and Recreation Committee.

The Council said that under its Town Belt management plan, commercial activity was banned from places like car parks.

The car park is also used by Club Kelburn, which is a profitable organisation.

VUWSA Welfare Vice-President Rick Zwaan said VUWSA would continue working this year to find a solution and ensure no loss of parking capacity.

“Currently, we only have 188 car parks available on Kelburn Campus, and each year there’s way more demand than that. While we encourage active and public transport, it’s crucial that students that can’t get to [University] without a car aren’t left out.”

“Car parks are allocated on a needs basis, with health considerations and children given priority along with students who don’t have access to public transport.”

Zwaan said that VUWSA were working with the University to use some car parks currently allocated to lecturers.

He added that the University is unlikely to give up lecturer car parks regardless of student needs, but they have been helpful in keeping the Salamanca Rd car parks for the remainder of the year.

The construction of a new School of Biological Sciences over the next five years will also limit the number of available car parks, with spaces being used for construction vehicles.

The existing car parks will be available to students until the University finds 16 alternative car parks or until 30 November.

1