March 24, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Perfect Pussy – Say Yes To Love Review

Perfect Pussy – Say Yes To Love

“Since when did we give up? Since when did we say yes to love?”

Usually, hearing the album-title as a lyric is a moment for wincing. But when the competitively interwoven front of noise that is Perfect Pussy pauses for a second, and the vocalist screeches those words, we’re all with her, if only for a second.

Fresh off their breakout demo-tape I have lost all desire for feeling, noise-punk band Perfect Pussy have created a 23-minute masterpiece of feedback, loud guitars, and battle-won confidence. This is an angry record, no doubt, but not sad-angry. Happy-angry.

Vocalist Meredith Graves was defiantly into herself on their last record too (“I AM FULL OF LIGHT/ I AM FULL OF LIGHT”), and just steps it up on their full-length (“AND I WANT TO FUCK MYSELF/ AND I WANT TO EAT MYSELF”). She calls her songs “happy revelations about incendiary events”. When you can make the lyrics out of the sludge and noise – as you suddenly, clearly can at several points throughout the record – they entirely live up to the band name. Visceral, real, and like nothing else. Let me list some: “What am I doing with somebody’s son?” “You can read the story of my last six weeks/ In little black bruises and marks from boys’ teeth.” “We make love and fall so/ And it doesn’t feel good/ It’s not magic, it’s work/ But it’s real and that’s cool.”

Not that Perfect Pussy are a one-person band. This is a band of texture, of layers of guitar and feedback and drums constantly reasserting themselves within the mix. Often a particularly good riff is just as loud, or louder, than Graves herself. They are loud enough to lose yourself within, loud enough to become a wall of emotion you can use as a mirror instead of a soundtrack.

This is what it sounds like to get over something, to realise that you are better than the sum of your experiences, that you still have a fuckload to offer the world, and more importantly, yourself. Perfect Pussy will both destroy and rebuild you. This is the record of 2014.