President’s Column

Do Stuff.

Welcome to the second week of Orientation! We’ve had heaps of sell-out shows for Orientation so far, so check in to the VUWSA Facebook page to keep up to date with the shows happening this week.

Last week, I told the first-years in Kelburn Park that they needed to get out and do stuff during their time at Vic. If you’re returning for the second year, or have been here so long that the idea of doing anything other than turning up to your office or lab or lecture scares you, I implore you to hear me out.

This is the time of year to get out there and do things slightly differently than you did in 2013. The start of uni is a time when most other people are open to new people and things. In six weeks, it might be seen as weird to start chatting to the babe in your class, whereas this week it’s completely okay. In eight weeks, joining the Rec Centre may seem scary, whereas in the next few weeks everyone else in Zumba or yoga will be equally new and uncoordinated. If you’ve ever thought about writing for Salient, its easy to get on the mailing list. Even if you’re happy with the group of friends you’ve had since Weir in 2010, its always good to extend the people you can say hi to around the place.

This week is also Clubs Week! On Tuesday and Wednesday, the Hub will be packed with over 90 clubs, societies and representative groups who will have lollies to tempt you (no other food ‘cause Vic has banned free food in the Hub). As a keen first-year, I made the rookie mistake of writing my email address down on the sheet of every club I found interesting – then was both confused and annoyed when 20 emails a week flooded my inbox. Don’t make my mistake. But DO check out the huge range of social, political, religious, sports and… other clubs on campus.

For those returning to Vic, VUWSA has moved! We’re now where the old Vic Books was at the top of the Student Union Building. We’ve got heaps planned this year, so make sure you join VUWSA to receive your FREE membership card (with discounts and deals around the city on it), FREE wallplanner and FREE Orientation bag of free stuff. Around Vic this week, we’ll be there with the notorious summer barbecue, giant board games, an international food festival and an outside lounge to chill out in the sun. Come say hi to the people in the green T-shirts.

Make sure you Do Stuff in 2014.

Over and out,

Sonya

M: 027 563 6986 | DDI: (04) 463 6986

E: sonya.clark@vuw.ac.nz

W: www.vuwsa.org.nz

@sonya_NZ

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties