March 24, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Rock Melon Instant Ice Cream

This ice cream has a bit of history to it. When I was eight, I spent some time in Italy. It’s a good place to be as a child (and, honestly, probably any time): I was petted and constantly fed, particularly ice cream. Although my memory of the art is nonexistent, I can still describe individual ice creams I had during that period. This is one of them.

It is based off a rock-melon gelato that I had in Venice, which I immediately decided was the best ice-cream flavour in the world. Since then, I haven’t found it again. I can’t say this became a pressing concern or disappointment in my life, but I did think of it occasionally. In my mid-teens, I finally decided to recreate it. And do you know what? Unlike McDonald’s sundaes and Rainbow’s End, it was as good as I remembered, with a delicate, mild, fragrant flavour.

This version isn’t a traditional, milk-based gelato; however, the naturally creamy consistency of the rock melon makes it a pretty good substitute. It’s also healthy, fast, and doesn’t need an ice-cream maker. You can use other fruit for this recipe, as long as it has strong flavour, isn’t too full of seeds, and you adjust the sugar quantity.

Rock Melon Instant Ice Cream (serves 2)

• 2 cups rock-melon flesh (rind and seeds removed)
  • scant ½ cup icing sugar
  • ¼ cup milk (you can also use cream or yoghurt)

Slice rock melon into little cubes, and freeze overnight. The next day, blend into fine crumbs in a food processor. Add icing sugar and blend until mixed. Slowly dribble in the milk, blending while you do. Stop when mixture is smooth and ice-cream-like. Serve immediately.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this