Students See Pluses and Minuses

Students returning to classes at Victoria this week will be doing so under a new grading system which will bring Victoria’s grades in line with other New Zealand universities.

The changes will create a C– grade, which will be the lowest possible grade for a pass and in the mark range of 50–54 per cent.

It will also revise all other grades up by five per cent, so that an A+ grade will now be equated with 90 per cent or higher. Previously, students were awarded an A+ for 85 per cent or higher. This percentage distribution is in line with other universities.

When they were proposed last year, the grade changes were criticised by staff and students alike, and were pushed back from the Academic Board to the Academic Committee for further review. The proposal was returned to the Board along with an implementation plan, and passed in an Academic Board meeting held on 26 September 2013.

Much of the student concern was directed at whether it would become harder to pass courses. The Academic Committee will review grade distribution across the University after Trimester One and Trimester Two this year.

The changes are detailed in the new assessment handbook, available online at

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America