Super-Duper Toby Cooper

Toby Cooper was elected yesterday as VUWSA Clubs and Activities Officer despite former VUWSA Vice-President Josh Wright’s prediction that Luke Cody would “win on babe voting.”

A crowd of people who were really just there for the pizza elected the past Film Society President after both candidates spoke and answered questions.

Luke Cody was the first up at the podium to present himself as a candidate and answer questions from the crowd.

He cited his role as a Science Society Executive member as giving him significant experience in running clubs.

He said he understood the challenges that clubs would face (such as a lack of committed members, and lack of funding), and offered to work on “enabling our clubs to better themselves.”

Questioned by Salient as to how he would solve problems arising at a club event, he responded that he would keep regular contact with clubs, and keep records or past problems so he could solve them easier in the future.

“Super-duper Toby Cooper” then took the stand, in an electric-orange Hawaiian shirt with matching shoes.

He highlighted his working relationship with Clubs Officer Raewyn Clarke and his experience in networking as his strong points, and said that he wanted to strengthen the relationship between clubs and VUWSA.

If elected, he wanted to bring back key student events such as the Faculty Games and Battle of the Bands.

Sadly, VUWSA President Sonya Clark cruelly silenced the media upon question time, so Salient wasn’t able to question him.

When asked about his previous experience, he cited his previous involvement in UN Youth, the Science Society and Flying Disc Club. He also stated that he understood different clubs had different needs, and wanted to help get clubs the specific resources that would help them.

After the speeches, votes were placed and the plebeians finally got the pizza they had been waiting for. Toby’s new role will be to chair the VUWSA Clubs Council and allocate funding to clubs as well as providing support, following the scandalous resignation of Elizabeth Bing earlier in the year.

8. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  9. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy
  10. Astral Rejection