March 10, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

The Drax Project/Ed Zuccollo/Name UL Concert Review

It’s going to be a sad day when Mighty Mighty closes. Students will have a hard time finding a venue that offers up experiences like the O-Week’s Thursday show.

The first artist playing was the young rapper Name UL. The talented Wellington local lands his self-affirming raps with metronomic rhythm. His beats are built out of synthetic soundscapes punctuated by tight drums. A charismatic performance soon brought the majority of the student crowd to the dance floor.

Ed Zuccollo soon replaced Name UL on the stage. Armed with a vintage vocoder synth, the one-man act blasted through a series of pop covers and Zuccollo originals. The eclectic set danced between techno, synth-pop and even dubstep as the chorus of Britney Spears’ ‘Toxic’ leapt into a fiery half-time groove. The crowd’s energy fed off his mix of accessibility and musicianship. One less-than-sober punter yelled “Yeah boy!” in encouragement.

Third on the line-up were the four-piece jazz-school heavyweights The Drax Project. The band have found a sweet spot of genre between mosh-pit bouncing grooves, jazz-pop and ferocious hip-hop. Once again, there were memorable covers – ‘Cry Me A River’ was dragged through its slow tempo by ragged saxophone rhythms. By now, the intimate space of the Mighty Mighty dance floor was packed. Lead singer/saxophonist Shaan Singh was perfectly comfortable crooning, rapping, playing synth or blasting away on the sax. The group’s originals also sounded promising.

I had a great night. Great music. Receptive crowd. Nice venue. Hopefully Wellington’s gig scene will manage to keep its charm after Mighty Mighty closes this May.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn