WHAT THE FUCK DO WE KNOW?

VUWSA wants students to tell them how their money should be spent.

All students paid a $690 Student Services Levy (SSL) this year, which will be spent on Student Academic Services.

VUWSA wants students to tell them how to distribute the money by completing an online ‘budget simulator’ before Sunday 13 April.

Using the budget simulator, students can decide to maintain, cut or increase the level of funding for each service. They can see the consequences of each action.

For example, increasing the Disability Services budget by two per cent could result in ‘more training and online resources to raise staff awareness’.

VUWSA President Sonya Clark said that this “isn’t just another boring survey.”

“It can feel like there are too many surveys, but this one is different: students have a real say over the Student Services Levy”.

The SSL is set and allocated each year. It will be decided in September or October of this year at the Special Meeting of Council, with the consultation of the Advisory Committee on the Student Services Levy (ACSSL).

ACSSL is co-chaired by Pam Thorburn (Student Academic Services) and Sonya Clark. There are three VUWSA seats on ACSSL, including Sonya, Welfare Vice-President Rick Zwaan, and another seat for the VUWSA Trust.

Last year, the SSL was raised by two per cent for 2014. VUWSA agreed to this on the grounds that the money would help the strained counselling services.

“Students told us that there needed to be more counsellors, and right now, we’re helping the Counselling Service interview the candidates for a new counselling position,” Clark said.

Students who participate in the budget simulator could win one of ten $100 New World vouchers or one of 10 $100 Vic Books vouchers. The survey can be accessed at: http://victoriauniversity.budgetsimulator.com/budget.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,