March 24, 2014 | by  | in Being Well Opinion |

Your own teeth are the nicest teeth

Good oral health is essential for our wellbeing and quality of life.  Untreated dental disease can lead to serious health problems such as infection, damage to bone or nerve, and tooth loss, which isn’t much fun and can cause pain and distress and be expensive to treat.  Along with the tips below, regular dental visits are a crucial part of caring for your teeth and gums.

1. Brush twice daily, especially once before bedtime. When you brush, don’t rush. Take enough time to do a thorough job.

2. Remember to brush the outside, inside and chewing surfaces of your teeth, as well as your tongue.

3. Use fluoride toothpaste, and after brushing, spit the toothpaste out.  Avoid rinsing the paste from your mouth after brushing as this will wash the fluoride away from your teeth.

4. Floss or use interdental brushes once daily to clean between your teeth.

5. As long as you do a thorough job, it doesn’t matter if you brush or floss first. However, flossing before brushing might allow more fluoride from your toothpaste to reach between your teeth.

6. Replace your toothbrush every three to four months — or sooner if the bristles become frayed.

7. Avoid eating sugary, sticky and acidic foods and drinks in between meals.

8. If you play a sport that involves contact, flying balls, or elbows, protect your teeth with a good mouth guard – one that is custom-made for you. Wear it during both practice and games.

Discounted dental care is available for Victoria University students at Symes de Silva & Associates and Capital Dental. They both charge $60 for an examination, polish and basic x-ray and offer a 20 per cent discount on treatment (some exclusions apply). You need to show your student ID.

A Special Needs Grant for emergency dental treatment for students on a low income is available from StudyLink. The grant is for up to $300 a year. You will need to get the dentist to fill out an Emergency Dental Treatment form (they should have them) and get it approved by StudyLink before getting the treatment done.   You may also qualify for help to pay for dental care from the Hardship Fund at Victoria University of Wellington. Visit the Financial Support and Advice Service for more information: www.victoria.ac.nz/st_services/finadvice/