April 6, 2014 | by  | in Opinion |

Alasdair Keating Campaigns Officer

Kia ora, I’m Alasdair Keating, your Campaigns Officer at VUWSA this year!

Despite the glamorous promise of going on some form of spirit quest to ‘know your mind’, as conjured up by Vic’s marketing department, life isn’t always easy as a student. Whether you’ve frozen in your flat over winter with four assignments to work on, worked 20-hour weeks to cover your living costs or waited for two months to get a counselling appointment, at some point most of you will have realised that uni life can be pretty shit. To top it all off, climate change seems ready to drown our coasts, World War Three looks set to erupt in the Crimea, and the prospect of getting a real job with your BA looks harder than ever.

If you’re on your own desperately finishing an assignment the night before or slaving away at a minimum-wage hospo job, trying to address any of these problems can seem insurmountable, if not impossible. Fortunately, there are about 20,000 other people all trying to cope with the same issues as you in Victoria University’s student body. As the philosopher and pretty smart guy Thomas Hobbes argued, lots of seemingly unimportant people can become really powerful when they group together, becoming what he kind-of-awesomely termed a ‘Leviathan’.

Uniting the voices of students so that we can make ourselves big enough to change things for the better is what VUWSA is all about. As the Campaigns Officer on the Executive this year, it’s my job to ensure that voice is heard by those in power. As you know, it’s an election year this year, which means that on 20 September we get the chance to choose who sits in the Beehive and makes the decisions that affect everyone in the country.

As young people and individuals we can seem pretty powerless, with little influence over the decision-makers, and it’s pretty easy to choose not to vote. If you want a warmer flat so you can study without getting the flu, however, or a student loan or allowance which doesn’t force you to prioritise work over study, your vote matters.

At the moment, we’re working on how VUWSA will approach the election, and if you want to get involved or have an issue you think we should campaign on, I’d love to hear from you.

So make sure you’re enrolled, get involved with VUWSA’s campaign this year, and as cheesy as it may sound, together we can have the power to make change for the better!

Alasdair Keating Campaigns Officer
phone: (04) 463 7406
email: alasdair.keating@vuw.ac.nz