April 6, 2014 | by  | in Being Well Opinion |

Being Well: Marijuana – Friend or Foe?

Grass. Pot. Weed. MJ. Dak. Hash. Smoke. Buds. Skunk. Ganja. Dope. Reefer.

• Whatever you want to call it, cannabis is the most widely used illegal drug in New Zealand.
  • Half of all 16–64-year-olds have tried it at least once.
  • Use is more common among 18–24-year-olds, and regular use is more common in men.

So why is it so popular, and is it safe?

Cannabis plants are the source of the compound tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC. The amount of THC in a plant will determine how strong the effect of the drug will be. Cannabis usually comes in one of three forms:

• Marijuana – most common and least potent. This is the dried leaf and buds of the plant, and resembles dried herbs. It is smoked.

• Hashish – the resin from the plant is dried and compressed into small blocks. Hash is more concentrated than marijuana, and is usually smoked, or added to baking.

• Cannabis oil – this is the strongest form of cannabis. It is a thick oily liquid and is usually smoked.

When smoked or ingested, cannabis produces a sense of euphoria, relaxation and wellbeing. It is a depressant, which means it slows down messages between the brain and the body. The ‘high’ from smoking cannabis comes on within minutes, and can affect users for up to several hours later. Students report using cannabis as a way to reduce stress and tension associated with the demands of study, and to help them sleep better. Unfortunately, this type of ‘self-medicating’ comes with risks.

Although infrequent use is thought to be safe, regular use, especially in younger people, is potentially very hazardous.

In large quantities, cannabis can make users feel unwell, with symptoms including confusion, mild hallucinations, paranoia, impaired coordination (it is really important not to drive if you have been using), restlessness and low mood.

It is almost impossible to overdose on cannabis – it is possible to become dependent on it though, and struggle to stop using it. This can have a huge impact on your relationships and career.

Other harmful effects include:

• Respiratory – smoking cannabis carries similar risks to your lungs as cigarette-smoking.

• Motivation, focus and coordination can be impaired.

• Cognition – regular cannabis use affects your ability to concentrate, learn, and remember facts.

• Sexual health – regular use can adversely affect sex drive, sperm count and menstrual cycles.

• Mental illness – potentially the most serious and harmful effect of cannabis. It is recognised that regular cannabis use, especially when younger than 15 years old, can lead to temporary psychotic illness. There are also fears that it can precipitate the onset of schizophrenia in susceptible individuals.

Support and information is available at Student Health.

1. Austine Fred says:

My Wife was diagnosed with Breast cancer with metastases with bone/liver/ovary involvement, after so many Chemo and Radiation. I came across Thomas Jefferson through several testimonies of his Rick Simpson Cannabis oil and I was able to contact him at: thomasjeffersonmedicalservice@hotmail.com, I bought the cannabis oil from Thomas Jefferson and I have been using Cannabis Oil to treat my wife cancerous diseases for the past 5 months. It’s been about 4 months since She stopped using it. All of the positive effects are still there. My wife is now healthy with no cancer in her body system anymore. Essentially her body feels like a 20 years old girl,while in reality she is 41 years old. Within 5 months of being on the oil She started to loose pounds, her metabolism is super fast. She can eat burgers at fast food joints and still loose weight. She sleep through the night, her digestive system works better than it ever has. she have NO back pain whatsoever. Even after being off the meds this long. This stuff is simply amazing. For help email: thomasjeffersonmedicalservice@hotmail.com,she is no longer a victim of cancer and I would love every other cancer patient at there to contact Thomas Jefferson for help via: thomasjeffersonmedicalservice@hotmail.com she do not have cancer anymore, but she still use her follow up medication for other cleansing of the body system. she started to use the oil to find its other benefits. Rick Simpson told us about how he believes the oil can reverse aging. I’m hoping it will slow it down or stop it completely. Not sure what to expect after prolonged use. I will update you guys to my findings of Cannabis Oil. Am using this medium to let you know that Rick Simpson Cannabis Oil will guarantee the total eradication of all types of cancers and other diseases as well for help email: thomasjeffersonmedicalservice@hotmail.com
    Fred