April 13, 2014 | by  | in Being Well Opinion |

C B T

This instalment of CBT was brought to you by mind-reading thinking and assumptions that have not been challenged since the individual was eight years old

CBT tells us that social anxiety is sometimes caused by negative automatic thoughts.

CBT tells us that for the individual in question, merely challenging negative thoughts isn’t enough.

CBT tells us that for the shitty individual in question, controlling the physical responses to anxiety means that negative thoughts sometimes—

It’s daylight-saving time and that means I’m walking down to town from University and it’s dark and I’m wet and it’s spitting. I’m walking past Little Penang and I’m looking inside and inside there is a girl who shared my tutorial a year ago and who invited me to a potluck the other day because sometimes we see each other on the street, and we are aware that we watch the same television programme (with the same kind of fervour). I’m thinking about potlucks and I’m thinking things like she probably knows you’re boring. The point is, obviously, she doesn’t really want you at the potluck and you should make this decision for her as you know what it is that she wants, and the whole thing with the people would just be uncomfortable, and heavy. You know. I’m wondering about the difference between shyness and disintegration.

I’m walking past St James and thinking about ‘automatic negative thoughts’ and I’m realising that telling myself to JUST RATIONALISE, BEB is not going to work. Uncomfortable and heavy.]It’s still spitting and this social angst is light but like kind of heavy, like this first coat of rain-spit on my clothes in April. You need to repetitively challenge negative thoughts because this will affect your memory processes and your neural pathways!!! But: positive thoughts and affirmations and scented candles are not your thing because in your current state of mind they seem totally irrational, and tasteless. I’m thinking: these positive thoughts will never be rational for you and so maybe you will forever have scared neural pathways, or, maybe you could deal with your hot cheeks and shallow breathing now and wait for your thoughts to catch up later. Catch up, to your calmer body. I’m thinking I won’t be able to rationalise all of my scared thoughts all the time and always, but maybe if I focus on slowing my body then I will know shyness, not disintegration.

CBT tells us that for the shitty individual in question, merely challenging negative thoughts sometimes isn’t enough.

Cognitive behavioural therapy [CBT] is a talk therapy used to treat disruptive thinking as well as diagnosed mental illnesses. Each CBT client will use it in their own way, and students who think it could help them can visit Student Health.