Eye on Exec

Two weeks of ‘Eye on Exec’ running – aren’t we lucky! Despite the date, the most recent VUWSA Exec meeting on 1 April sadly involved no pranks.

President Sonya Clark began the substantive part of the meeting with her report. She told the meeting that the University Council were asking ‘strategic questions’ about what size the University should be – whether it should grow to 30,000 EFTS, or remain smaller and more focussed. She also said that VUWSA’s recent submission to the WCC had been well received. She then went on to discuss the interactive Student Services Levy–allocation tool VUWSA and the University have set up, and said that while the Levy is set, the results may influence the long-term planning of the institution.

On a staffing front, Clark said VUWSA was looking to hire a new welfare organiser. Additionally, a new intake counsellor has been hired, funded by last year’s Levy increase. You can read more about this on page 8.

Discussion then turned to the prospect of VUWSA working with a local DJ and MAWSA to run a grad party on 16 May at Bodega. Clark was enthused about the idea, but the rest of the Exec were less so: members cited concerns about whether students would want to attend, and whether it would do damage to the VUWSA brand to run a poorly attended event. Clark said that if nobody went then nobody would know that the event had flopped, to which Sustainability Officer Stephanie Gregor replied that “nobody was there to see the Pajama Party flopping!” Mirth ensued.

Clark said that it was important that the Exec not make a decision based on whether they would personally attend the event, as “we are NOT a representative body.” Realising she had given Salient a quote we can run with endlessly, Clark tried to distract the ever-hungry student media with talk of a discount at KFC by using VUWSA’s card. Salient has investigated, and can confirm that this is misleading: there is no VUWSA discount at KFC. We are the future of journalism.

Eventually, amid much concern about appeal from Exec members Rāwinia Thompson and Madeleine Ashton-Martyn, the decision was made to discuss the issue further with MAWSA, and ask the organiser for a written proposal.

Academic Vice-President Rāwinia Thompson then told the meeting about an awards ceremony VUWSA will run at some point towards the end of Trimester Two. There was much discussion of the flawed process of selecting people for special awards and Class Representative awards; the Exec decided people should be able to nominate others, as the awards are currently self-nominated. Thompson said the event “has a lot of potential” and could be an evening event which really celebrated student achievement.