April 6, 2014 | by  | in Features |

In Charge Like a G.U.Y.

The internet was swept away last week with the release of the new Lady Gaga single “G.U.Y” (which stands for Girl Under You). As it always is with anything Gaga, there is more to behold than meets the eye behind bizarre headdresses and lolloping base synths. In fact, listening to lyrics like “I don’t need to be on top to know I’m worth it ‘cause I’m strong enough to know the truth” pretty soon reveals a powerful, if not surprisingly unoriginal, message about female sexuality. Lady Gaga is a power bottom.

To be precise, a power bottom is someone who takes the normally ‘submissive’ role in sex and turns it on its head, instead playing a more dominant role. Confusing? Well, think of it like this: imagine a backseat driver in sexual terms, and you kind of get the gist.

But why is this idea of writing a whole song dedicated to “wearing the tie” so controversial but brilliant for female sexuality? (Gaga is still referring to ‘taking the dominant role’ idea here, not to a strange necktie fetish. But then again, it is Gaga, so who really knows?).

I think as a society we struggle with the idea that a woman can have control over her sexuality, which is completely nuts. The fact that a determined, sexy, confident and successful pop star is saying “hey boys, I might be underneath you when we’re fucking, but that doesn’t mean you’re better than me” really is quite breathtaking. Considering what other pop stars are putting out about female sexuality, with Robin “I’m-a-Douche” Thicke’s infamous Blurred Lines, Lady Gaga is pushing a fairly radical agenda.

The very idea of power bottoming for a woman is instinctively empowering. Being comfortable with who you are as a woman as well as female sexual power is the message we need to be pushing in pop culture more frequently, instead of the toxic ideals of submissiveness and rapey male dominance.

What I fear the most though is that young men and women will look on these brilliant ideas of liberating female sexuality, and then look at Gaga, and just shrug it off as “more weird shit from Lady Gaga”. What really needs to happen is this idea to be spread by ordinary, everyday people as well as a camp pop star that enjoys swanning around in a dress made of dried meat. Female sexual empowerment is not avant-garde or a strange art form, but a necessity and a requirement for true equality. Lay back, and feast as this audio guides you through new and exciting positions.