April 6, 2014 | by  | in Arts Fashion |

Model Citizen: An Interview with Olivia Poppe

Olivia is a model signed with Kirsty Bunny Management. She is in her first year of a BA in Film and Media Studies.

How long have you been modelling?
I started when I was 14, just kind of stumbled into it.

What made you start modelling?
I was actually scouted. I’d never really thought about modelling, because when I think of modelling I might think of Paris or luxury. The agent was from Christchurch and she said I had a good walk, so she put me on her books. I didn’t know what that meant but I was like, “Okay cool!”

Is that how most models get signed?
Sometimes. Most of the time they just have an interest in modelling so they sign up themselves.

How did you get signed with Kirsty Bunny Management?
I was actually with two other agencies, one in Auckland and one in Christchurch. But it just got too hard being so separate, so they both recommended I combine the two agencies and go to Kirsty in Wellington.

Are there many options for modelling agencies in Wellington?
There’s a few, I think around three. But Kirsty is the main one if you’re more professional, so if you’re actually serious about it Kirsty is the best one.

Is there much competition between the agencies?
Sometimes yes, but generally it’s about the money side of it. Kirsty has a lot of new faces who are just starting out, so they’re usually keen to do whatever they can.

How have you been treated by staff at your agency and designers and photographers?
Kirsty is amazing; the best agent I’ve ever had. All of Kirsty’s models are kind of like her babies, so she’s really nice. Generally, the photographers are really good too. Sometimes designers can be quite serious, but essentially you’re there to make their product look good, so they’re kind of allowed to be.

Have you ever had disagreements with anyone when you’ve been working?
Sometimes things can get a bit stressful in hair and makeup. If you’re sitting in the mirror you can see if they’re doing something weird or wrong. You say, “I think you need to fix this up”, but it’s not your position to say that.

As a woman, do you always feel safe on sets?
The majority of the time it’s safe. You are allowed to say if you feel uncomfortable, but everyone’s really nice. I did one shoot where I didn’t have a bra on and I was wearing this sheer black top which was open. All of a sudden they wanted to put a fan on me, so it was a free-for-all. I said I wasn’t really keen on it, so they strapped the shirt down so you couldn’t see anything. So you just have to pipe up and say what you want.

Do you have any advice for people wanting to model in Wellington?
If it’s something you really wanna do then go for it, because it is a really fun thing to do. Kirsty has requirements, like usually you have to be a certain height, but if you fit the standards then go through Kirsty because she’s probably the best agent. But everyone is just so cool and you can get some really amazing opportunities.