TEU v IOU

The Tertiary Education Union (TEU) has called for the Government to give more students Student Allowance, and Labour has said it is “time to get angry” about cuts to funding.

The TEU announced its Te Kaupapa Whaioranga ‘Blueprint’ for student wellbeing at a meeting on Tuesday 1 April. The document recommends raising the parental-income threshold for Student Allowances and increasing the amount Student Loan borrowers can access.

The document also “asserts we must introduce universal student allowances, funded through progressive taxation increases, and that those allowances should be at a level that is enough for students to live decently.”

Labour’s Spokesperson for Tertiary Education Grant Robertson said the Government had made “incremental cuts” to tertiary education, and students were receiving inadequate financial support.

“Students should not be the only group in society that have to borrow money to eat, but that’s what they do,” Robertson said.

“Labour will continue our strong record of expanding student support, and we will ensure staff, students and other community reps are on university councils.”

TEU national president Lesley Francey said the document was a “line in the sand” for tertiary education.

“The best way to demonstrate that we are committing our education system to the wellbeing of students first and foremost, rather than corporations, is not to saddle them with huge debts while they study.”

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this