April 6, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

The Sweet Scoop

I love lamingtons. I really do. The jelly/chocolate outer layer, the soft sponge in the middle, the sweetness and dryness offset by fresh cream, and the final garnish of a dab of jam. Pretty perfect. Whenever I’m at a bakery, it will be a lamington that I choose.

Despite this, I’d never tried to make them: I’d assumed that they were difficult and time-consuming. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Starting with sponge, cut into cubes, the creation process is  closer to kindergarten fingerpainting than to careful cake decoration. The finished lamingtons look amazing and taste amazing – in an entirely different league to your usual supermarket offerings. They are richer, softer, far more flavourful, and are totally delightful. Piled onto a plate, and served with a cup of tea, these can’t be beaten.

Lamingtons

1 sponge, 17 cm x 17 cm*

½  packet raspberry jelly

½ cup water

1 cup icing sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

¼ cup milk

¾ cup cream

jam, raspberry or strawberry

desiccated coconut

Make the jelly, using half a jelly packet and half a cup of boiling water (this should be twice the strength indicated on the packet). Chill until cold and slightly thickened. Make the chocolate icing by mixing cocoa powder and icing sugar, then slowly adding milk while mixing until smooth. Fill another bowl with coconut. Cut the sponge into 9 cubes, about 4 cm per side. If the sponge has a thick crust, remove this, as it absorbs less well.

Take each cube, dip each side into the jelly or chocolate mixture, then roll in coconut. Place on a wire rack and leave for half an hour. Whip the cream, and slice each lamington diagonally from one corner to about halfway through. Fill with cream. This is easily done by pouring the whipped cream into a plastic bag, cutting a small hole in one corner, and piping it. Top each lamington with a dab of jam. Eat the same day.

*You can use a bought or homemade sponge here.

makes 9 (4 jelly, 5 chocolate)