April 13, 2014 | by  | in Opinion Weird Internet Shit |

Weird Internet Shit

I don’t really *get* thejogging.tumblr.com, an insanely addictive blog of art that feels like a terrible 9GAG meme making love to a second-year Fine Arts student. But I adore it.

It’s mostly satire. Surreal satire. Think a closeup of Lorde’s face, compared with photos of plane wreckage of MH370, captioned in motivational-image style “Sheeple be like”. Think a photo of Barack Obama in Joker makeup, captioned “The Commander in THIEF wants to know…Have you read your daily Pitchfork Best New Music Review yet?” Think the Boston Bombing cast as a distraction from Brian on Family Guy dying. You kind of have to see it.

The Jogging takes the internet a few steps further than it has already gone, then presents it back as art. I guess that makes it satire. Below every post is the title of the work in italics, along with the year it came out and a link to the artist. A month or so ago, they were really into mixing Family Guy porn into a traditional conspiracy image macro format – think a naked Lois talking to a naked Black Lois about the Constitution and the NSA, above a photo of Justin Bieber as president smoking pot. Once again, you really have to see it.

The Jogging only makes sense to people who spend far too much time online, but it also seeks to ridicule those who do. It’s now paying small sums for contributions (based on the amount of notes their accepted submissions receive), a move which I think is kind of serious and kind of not. Reddit and 9GAG users aren’t the main targets any more; The Jogging is definitely making fun of itself at this point, as well as the alt-lit/net-art community it seems to have spawned from.

The blog began in mid-2012, right in the worst part of the US election, when racist conspiracy memes and frantic social-media strategies were muddying up the entire internet. I hope it survives as a historical document of how fucking crazy things were that year, and how crazy our mass culture continues to be.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this