April 13, 2014 | by  | in Features |

Write Drunk, Edit Sober

Write drunk, edit sober. What is it about drugs that spurs a creative mind?

We have different personalities and hats that we put on when engaging with different people and situations. With an altered brain chemistry, our views on things can be canted or changed. You prioritize and ignore certain aspects of the world, in a way that somehow makes you form new connections. Much like when you write down a new sodoku number and suddenly 3 more appear in the new light.

According to wikipedia, LSD has been recorded to, in some case, have an effect of permanently changing users’ world view.

A friend of mine did lsd at Camp a low hum this year, and reported that he had indeed had a very challenging trip. Ultimately however he came out of it with a new lease on life. Since, becoming very positive about drug’s ability to help you overcome mental illness. Stating that he’d managed to consistently ward off the depressive episodes he’d suffered chronically the 6 years before he’d taken the drug.

Aldous Huxley, Edgar Ellen Po, Hunter S Thompson, Stephen Fry

Would they be the well observed lyricists (metaphor) they are today(anachronism) without a little help from their friends (mis-reference). Oh also those guys. The Beatles I mean, not your friends, ironic, they were also actually lyricists.

LSD, I’m getting all of my information from wikipedia here, seems to be a very clean drug, with no lasting debilitating effects other than some cases of “Flash backs”(?). It’s not considered addictive by the medical community  And  rapid tolerance build-up prevents regular use. Why then is it illegal? It was banned October 6 (my birthday :D), 1966 because of it’s perceived corrosive effects on western values  Also acute panic reactions, psychotic crises, and “flashbacks”, especially in users ill-equipped to deal with such trauma .

Drugs are dangerous. And anything that tinkers with your brain should be adhered to with a great deal of caution. But with respect to the legality of alcohol, why not Lsd? Why not any number of drugs?

Ex heroine addict Russell Brand, is for the decriminalization of drugs and has appeared in recent political debates in favor of abstinence based therapy for abusers, rather than criminalization.

I’m not sure how I feel about heroine being made legal, or meth or any other drug that so strongly takes away your freedom, but I do feel that drug illegality has become far too cold a case for how heated it is. Perhaps a corrosive effect on western values is US govt. speak for less compliant and peace-loving, or LSD genuinely screws you up. I don’t know, I’m just a wee boy.

Also, please, use ‘trippy’ sparingly. It’s a null, homogenizing statement that patronizes all of philosophy.