Young Money Cash Money Thousandaires

Victoria students are getting fewer jobs, but working more and making more money out of them, Student Job Search figures show.

In 2013, students at Victoria were placed in 3912 jobs, down from 4049 in 2012. However, the money earnt shot from $9 million in 2012 to $11.5 million, a 28 per cent increase.

This increase translates to an increase in earnings of over $700 for each placement. A Victoria student who got a job through Student Job Search last year earnt on average $2937.

Worker weeks increased in line with the greater earnings. In 2012, Victoria students worked 18,764 weeks in total; in 2013, this increased to 23,837.

VUWSA President Sonya Clark welcomed the news, saying that it was what students wanted.

“It is awesome to see that, on average, students are earning more in each job and working there for longer, even if the overall amount of jobs placed is slightly down. More stable work means students are better able to plan their lives and stress less about where their money is coming from,” Clark said.

Earnings have also gone up by 25 per cent for students at Massey, with the average placement for a Massey student now worth $2837.

This comes in contrast to earnings down south, with University of Otago students having a harder time finding well-paid jobs.

In 2013, Otago student earnings from SJS dropped to $7.3 million, from $8 million in 2012. Job placements also dropped from 4293 in 2012 to 4074 in 2013. Otago students also earnt an average of just $1976 from each placement.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties