May 4, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Best places to brunch

Whether you’re having brunch in preparation for a big weekend, or a brunch on a Sunday after a big weekend, brunch is always a good time, and Wellington has a long list of great places to brunch, not all of which I can list here.

My top five, in no particular order:

Nikau: The staff are pleasant and attentive without being annoying. The food is definitely on the pricey side, but it’s delicious. The menus change frequently to take advantage of seasonal produce. The coffee is good and their alcohol range is impressive (try the “lighthouse gin & aquina fina tonic”). The décor is simple but elegant. The location, nestled inside City Gallery, is handy to city amenities but without the hustle and bustle.

Scopa: Worth trying for the hot chocolate alone, if you haven’t already. Simpler food than Nikau but larger portions and lower prices: head here if you’re looking for a fancy take on classic brunch food.

Floriditas: Great décor, good coffee and the staff are always friendly. Avoid if you don’t like eggs; but if you do, it’s a go-to, especially as the eggs and bacon are free-range. My dad told me he’d disown me if I didn’t include Floriditas on my list.

Duke Carvell’s: Tucked down Swan Lane, Duke’s is where I go with my dad if Floriditas is full. My way to test a brunch place is to order the classic vegetarian meal: here it’s the Vege Dawn, and it’s very good. They have a special brunch cocktail list too, which is pretty special.

Prefab: Modern, spacious, reasonably priced, with very accommodating chefs (my mother was doing a ridiculous low-sugar, low-gluten, dairy-free pescetarian diet when we came here last and they could still feed her). Mushrooms on toast is my go-to.

Highly commended: Pranah, Monterey (both in Newtown), the Hangar, Sweet Mother’s, Maranui Cafe (Lyall Bay), Fidel’s, Olive, Caffe L’affare, Arthur’s on Cuba.

1