Diversity the Write Choice

Victoria University’s International Institute of Modern Letters (IIML) has introduced a pioneering course on creative writing from Māori and Pasifika perspectives to its programme.

Titled ‘Te Hiringa a Tuhi’, the course will cater to students interested in writing fiction, poetry or creative non-fiction informed by Māori or Pasifika viewpoints, cultures and origins, the process of colonisation, or questions around identity and belonging.

Victoria University Creative Writing graduate Dr Tina Makereti will be taking the course, and said that her focus will be on “engaging with the questions many of us encounter when writing creatively and thinking about culture… trying new forms and figuring out how to simply produce good writing.”

Dr Makereti has won several accolades for her work, including the Ngā Kupu Ora Māori Book Awards Fiction Prize in 2011, the Royal Society of New Zealand Manhire Prize for Creative Science Writing (Non-Fiction) in 2009, and the Pikihuia Award for Best Short Story Written in English, also in 2009.

Professor Damien Wilkins, Director of the IIML, hopes that the introduction of the course will provide Māori and Pasifika students with a new and appealing avenue of study.

“Our hope is that Māori and Pasifika writers who haven’t previously considered studying Creative Writing will respond to this terrific opportunity.”

Applications for the Trimester Two course are now open. The course is limited to 12 places.

1