May 7, 2014 | by  | in Online Only Opinion |

Exec Column

TOBY COOPER | VUWSA CLUBS AND ACTIVITIES OFFICER

Hi there!

I’m Toby, the VUWSA Clubs and Activities Officer for 2014. I work alongside clubs to provide guidance and support as a student representative who will stand up to the University to ensure that clubs’ needs are met. I love chatting to clubs about their goals and events, and how I can help to make things happen. Feel free to pop by the VUWSA office for a chat if you want help to run a club, are interested in starting up a new club, or are simply keen on getting involved in stuff.

This university gig can get really stressful sometimes, eh? With assignments and tests popping up every few weeks, it’s easy to lose sight of your own wellbeing. You should give yourself time every week to make yourself happy, whatever that means for you. The happier you are, the more resilient you’ll be in managing the stresses of academic life.

On campus, there are always happiness-inducing activities going on. Clubs are a great way to meet other students and have a good time, giving yourself a break from stressing about study. With 130 active clubs, there’s something for everyone. If you’re just curious about what a club does, there are no blood pacts requiring you to stay with a club for eternity. For most clubs, it doesn’t cost a thing to drop by and attend a session to see if it’s your deal, so you’ve got nothing to lose.

If you want to get those endorphins going, why not go to the Rec Centre on Sundays at 4 pm for beginners’ Ultimate Frisbee?  If you’re looking for something intellectual, perhaps visit the Business Investment Club, every Monday at 4.30 pm in SU218 in the Clubs HQ (below The Hunter Lounge, in the Student Union Building). Alternatively, the Clubs HQ comes alive on Friday afternoons with the Roleplaying and Board Games Club. Additionally, there are heaps of political and religious clubs which meet up regularly for casually chatting about life, holding speaker presentations, and running big events. There might also be a students’ society which runs social events for students in your faculty.

Here are five ways to get connected with the club goings-on at Victoria University:

1. Visit http://www.victoria.ac.nz/students/campus/clubs/directory to explore the clubs directory, and then email a club to say hi and find out what they’re up to.

2. Check out the clubs timetable in the Student Union Building, updated weekly. As you walk down the main stairs, it’s on your left.

3. Keep your eyes open for club event posters around campus.

4. Drop by the VUWSA Office at Kelburn Campus on Mondays or Thursdays from 12 to 2 pm, to voice any questions or concerns.

5. Stroll into the Rec Centre or down to the Student Union Building’s Clubs HQ (below The Hunter Lounge) anytime to see what’s happening.

1