Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 5.16.31 pm
May 18, 2014 | by  | in Online Only Opinion VUWSA |

Exec Column

CAROLINE THIRSK | EDUCATION OFFICER

Hi everyone!

This is Caroline, the 2014 Education Officer.

When I first joined VUWSA, I was overwhelmed. The knowledge of the University workings, policy and legislation (both at University, local-government and national level) that the returning VUWSA members had was quite intimidating, and I remember thinking: “Oh my goodness, I am so not equipped to do this job!” However, these ‘beings of a higher knowledge level’ turned out to be really amazing and supportive people who went out of their way to share their knowledge and help a newbie out.

I have continued to be amazed at how hard the VUWSA members work, and at how many things they are involved in. O-Week, for example, was an eye-opener. I had been warned several times that it would mean extremely long hours, but, the concept didn’t quite sink in until I was in the middle of it. As an officer, there wasn’t as much I could do except volunteer for everything where hands were needed but, while I was beginning to feel quite physically drained, it was the VPs and President who really had it tough. Seeing a Vice-President taking a catnap on the floor of the office in a stripy onesie may seem comical, but it wasn’t so amusing when you consider that this was the only time she’d had to catch up on some much-needed sleep because of working from early hours to even earlier hours. I really had to take my hat off to them.

I have had lots of interesting experiences since joining the team. Having been a Class Rep last year, it was interesting to come at it from the opposite direction. There is such attention to detail and hard work behind our Class Rep system. Helping Jay (our academic team staff member) send out a gazillion emails (okay, a slight exaggeration – but only slight) and working on the Class Rep database, as well as helping out with the organisation of the Class Rep training made me realise why Vic’s Class Rep system is rated one of the best in the country.

I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity, and for my fellow VUWSA members. If anyone is thinking of running for next year, I have to say it is by no means an easy job, but it is something that can give you life experience that you will not regret. And don’t get me wrong, there is plenty of fun stuff as well!

1