May 26, 2014 | by  | in Opinion VUWSA |

Exec Column

Toby Cooper | Clubs and Activities Officer

Dear beloved students,

You’re probably facing a ‘crunch time’ at the moment, where you’re required to juggle completing assignments, keeping up with lectures, and preparing for exams. With the stress from these obligations, one more worry making an appearance is definitely not what you need.

VUWSA is here to help YOU. They might as well call us ‘Youwsa’. Below is a list of five worries that commonly pop up in students’ lives, and how VUWSA can combat these worries:

1. “I need help, but I don’t know who to talk to”

VUWSA offers all students access to a free, professional, and confidential advocacy service, which is 100 per cent independent from the University. Whatever your issue, be it personal, flatting, financial, employment, or study-related, VUWSA’s Advocate will listen to you, explore options and risks, support, coach and work alongside you towards a solution which is in your best interests.

1. “I can’t find a microwave anywhere”

VUWSA has microwaves available for all students to use. You can find them in the VUWSA Kelburn Office, awaiting your glorious patronage. If you journey down into Clubs HQ (that room ahead of you at the bottom of the Student Union Building staircase), you’ll find a boiling-water Zip, a fridge, and a microwave.

1. “I’ve lost my stuff”

VUWSA runs a lost-property service. If you’ve lost the USB with your assignment on it, the phone you were recording a lecture with, or anything else at all, come to the VUWSA Kelburn Reception to see if someone has returned the item. Which reminds me: if you’ve found a student’s belongings on campus, please bring them to VUWSA.

1. “I’m at Pipitea Campus, but want to access VUWSA services”

Students on the VUWSA Exec will be manning the VUWSA Pipitea Office at the following times throughout the week, even after lectures have ended:

• 12.30 – 1.30 pm, Mondays

• 9 – 11 am, Wednesdays

• 10 am – 12 pm, Fridays

1. “I need to get to my class over at another campus, but don’t have any cash on my Snapper”

VUWSA provides 10-trip Bus Passes for students who have classes on the same day at different campuses. Simply visit the VUWSA Kelburn Reception with a printed copy of your lecture timetable (or S-Cubed tutorial list), your Student ID, and your Snapper card.

The days may be getting darker and the deadlines may be getting deadlier, but stay strong, be kind to one another, and we’ll make it through.