Eye on Exec

VUWSA’s most recent Exec meeting took place on the Tuesday before break (15 March), and the general feeling of apathy across campus was clearly present in the meeting, with President Sonya Clark especially keen to be finished on time.

In her President’s report, Clark stressed the general desire of the student body for a new VUWSA van. The last van was sold in 2010, after 2007’s Executive misappropriated over $20,000 of student funds to upgrade the van with tinted windows, mags and a new sound system.

Next up was Rāwinia Thompson, VUWSA’s Academic Vice-President, who discussed the Student Academic Committee. She further said that the Student Conduct Statute, which was to go to Academic Board on Thursday, had “addressed all of our concerns”, including those on students’ freedom to protest.

Rick Zwaan, Welfare Vice-President, delivered the most exciting news of any VUWSA meeting ever by indicating puppies, normally confined to Law School, may be present on Kelburn Campus during Stress Free Study Week. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, Engagement Vice-President Declan Doherty-Ramsay said VUWSA had seen a positive response to University Challenge, with over 30 signups for trials. The newest member of the Executive, Toby Cooper, then proposed a new initiative of clubs showcases every two weeks. Discussion then turned to “embarrassing” confusion surrounding VUWSA membership cards.

Finally, quite a long time was spent discussing VUWSA’s presence at Victoria’s Wellington information evening. Exec members were visibly gleeful at the prospect of entrancing innocent high-schoolers into the wild world of student politics. Salient was just as gleeful about the potential for puppies. A happy ending all around.

1