Eye on Exec

The latest VUWSA Exec meeting was a long one, largely because of the passing of the VUWSA Budget – which is far earlier than last year. The meeting opened at 6.15 with Sonya burning her tongue on some rogue tea, but it was all up from there.

There was no report from VUWSA’s General Manager, Mark, as he was sick. The Exec then discussed the job description for VUWSA’s event manager, who is yet to be hired. This devolved into discussion of VUWSA’s status as a registered charity – Sonya said it was, Rick believed it wasn’t – but Sonya kept the meeting on track.

Next up was Sonya’s President’s Report. She discussed media coverage of the Boyd-Wilson path, and further action to be taken there, including VUWSA initiating a meeting with the WCC and Police. She then talked about the recent attention to proposed changes to the bus route, and positive responses from Councillor Nicola Young. Next was the University’s strategic planning, as the University is currently drawing up its new five-year plan. Also discussed was the work being done with MAWSA for Re-O Week, the potential for the career expo as a recruiting ground for future student politicians, and VUWSA’s recent reinstatement as voting members of the Academic Board.

Rick Zwaan, Welfare Vice-President, was next up with his report. He talked about student safety on campus, including a Take Back The Night march to be organised, bus routes, rental warrants of fitness and Stress Free Study Week. No further mention was made of puppies, but Salient will be following this up.

Discussion then turned to the beleaguered VBC, and the winding up of the VB Trust so that VUWSA could assume control of the station. The VBT has around $3000 of IRD debt which Sonya was hopeful they would be able to avoid paying, but said this was a “small price to pay” to deal with the issue. Rick queried this, saying “we could do nothing”.

Super Duper Toby Cooper earned his nickname with detailed results from investigation of the potential utility of a VUWSA van. There was a little uncertainty as to what had happened to the previous van – was it abandoned on the Desert Road? – but ultimately the VUWSA Exec said that they wanted various alternatives costed, and approved whichever alternative was most cost-effective in principle.

They then moved into the interesting part of the meeting – the Budget – but that was in committee, meaning Salient cannot report on it. However, we can report that Vic Books will be getting a Snapper top-up machine. Better living.