May 18, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Recipe: White-Chocolate Cheesecake with an Oreo Crust

I usually start these columns with a ramble about how this is surprisingly delicious, and reasons why you should make it, but I don’t think I need to do that here. I think this speaks for itself. White chocolate, touched with a tang of Greek yoghurt, accompanied by a sweet Oreo crust. What more is there to say, really?

The preparation of this is also amazingly simple. If you can work a food processor, or mix really hard by hand, then you can make this. My only word of warning is that this ends up softer than your average cheesecake, as it uses Greek yoghurt. It’s totally worth it: not only is it healthier, but it gives the cheesecake a wonderful tanginess which prevents the white chocolate from being cloyingly sweet. The trick is to pick a very thick Greek yoghurt (I use Gopala) and if it looks too runny, then decrease the amount used.

White-Chocolate Cheesecake with an Oreo Crust

12 Oreos
25 g butter
250 g cream cheese
¾ cup natural unsweetened Greek yoghurt, very thick
250 g good-quality white chocolate
½ cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon cream (optional)

Blend Oreos in a food processor until reduced to crumbs. Add butter and mix, then press into the base of a greased tin. Chill for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, melt white chocolate (if it isn’t melting smoothly, adding some cream will help). Mix cream cheese, yoghurt, chocolate and icing sugar in the food processor until smooth, then pour into the tin. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.

Serves 5

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan