May 11, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Rock ’n’ Roll: Pre-Gig Party Snacks

I’d host a dinner party over a party-party any day. They’re more intimate and there’s less vomit to clean up. If you host a pre-gig starters-and-drinks kind of deal, you won’t have to spend heaps of money feeding everyone and you can clear the whole group out before things get messy.

Chips and dips are a crowd-pleaser, but you don’t have to be ripped off by Lisa and her stupid advertising any longer. Serve these dips with your favourite kind of bread, some olives, sundried tomatoes, cured meats, and call it a mezze platter!

Smoked-eggplant dip
If you don’t have a gas oven top, skip the first step: it’ll still be tasty.
2–3 medium eggplants (more if you want a mountain of dip)
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Stab the eggplants with a fork. Sit them on top of the gas hob, turned to medium heat, and let them cook. Make sure you have the extractor fan on/window open or you’ll stink out your flat!

Rotate the eggplants and then when the skin is starting to blacken, take them off the gas (about 10 minutes of cooking). Slice them in half and put them in an oven tray and bake them at medium heat until tender; about 20 minutes. Scoop the flesh out and put into a blender or food processor. Add the garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and whiz until it’s dip-consistency (smooth enough to spread but not so smooth it’s paste-like). If you want, add some cream cheese for a richer dip, or some tahini for a nutty flavour. Add herbs of your choice if you’re feeling adventurous (I recommend dill/basil/parsley).

Pea dip
2 cups peas (frozen is fine)
75 g feta
3 tablespoons cream cheese
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
Salt and pepper

Boil the peas until they’re just cooked – they still need to be juicy and bright green. Cool them down so they don’t overheat and put them in the blender. Add the cream cheese and blend until smooth, and then add the rest of the ingredients and whiz.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this