May 4, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Sweet Scoop: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I think that these actually might be my favourite cookies ever. Which is definitely saying something. I’m a very fussy biscuit eater; I don’t like cookies to be too crispy, and they definitely can’t be too dry. They need a good flavour as well: great as sugar and flour are, a biscuit that tastes of nothing else is one that I can happily pass by.

Luckily, these win on all those counts. They have very little flour, and so deliver an intense peanut-butter flavour which goes far beyond what you’d find in most peanut-butter cookies. I love the slightly chewy texture too. They are already dairy-free, and could easily be made gluten-free. They are also extremely easy to make – you don’t need to chill the dough, or roll anything out, or even cream butter and sugar. Also, if you eat them hot out of the oven, the chocolate chips are still melty. Heaven.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup white flour
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg
¾ cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix the peanut butter together with the vanilla essence and egg until smooth. Mix in the sugar, and then the flour. Finally, mix the chocolate chips into the dough until evenly distributed. By now, the dough should be very stiff, and will probably require mixing by hand rather than a fork. Mould the dough into disc shapes the size you want the cookies to be (they won’t spread or rise much) and place on greased trays. Bake until golden brown (about 10–15 minutes). Leave on trays to firm for a few minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool. Or just eat them.